Picking up on a riff from yesterday. I have been thinking about the issue of serving the unemployed and reconnecting the economy after the financial system reboots.How is this recovery going to be different from 1930's?
Unemployment benefits should be bundled with 12 months of Internet access. It is part of the investment in the transitioning worker. It is a critical part of the modern "safety net". It will create jobs.
Why should we do this?
- People need to job hunt.
- the unemployed need to interact with government agencies and services and online access would reduce government servicing costs.
- It would help nonprofits and food banks squeeze more efficiency in the way the coordinate delivery of services and assessing needs.
- It would create an intensive online training program (from basic computer skills (how to email, network and search) to all the free and more advanced training online.
- employees could stay in touch with previous coworkers (DHL alumni group on Linked-in) and family at reduced costs.
- it would up our workforces competitiveness and prepare the unemployed to collaborate on projects for new jobs.
- the new free web services (gmail,google docs, skype, etc.) enable productivity in the cloud. so event thee $39 computer or the web books would meet basic needs.
- it would open up lots of new self-organizing (laidoffcamp.org) and new business start up.
- It is important for the families that are trying to figure out housing availability, stay connected with schools and teachers.
- the unemployed on the program (using the govt access pages) could be asked to review elements of the recovery activity, congressional budgets, state budgets, etc.(would probably find enough mistakes to pay for the whole program)
- when companies want to rehire or pull from their former workforce they could easily reactivate the latent parts of our workforce.
- Emotional support, entertainment, etc.
- They could cut off other services (like cable and phone) to save money.
- It would generate a new revenue and industry from states for web businesses that could target reengaging the unemployed.
- If it shortens unemployment of each persons by just a few weeks it would pay for itself. (480 per person per year).
- It would accelerate the use of the stimulus dollars, tax programs, etc.
- It would shorten the amount of time it takes to find the unemployed and fill new positions (saving business money)
- It would keep the unemployed a more powerful political force.
- It is a manageable cost program. (worst case = 40 a month * 4 million unemployed * 12 = 2 billion ). The faster the unemployed find work and get into positions where they create value others are willing to purchase the faster the economy recovers.
- Other ideas?