Here is a wonderful site that I peek in on from time to time. Where a handful of connected nuts hide behind pen names and twisted images to speak truth and have some fun.
I have seen some wonderful discussions there between the crazy rants. I really like the new post on the Game of Tit for Tat that wraps up with these suggestions for advocates.
1. Personal courage - speak out while the price is still acceptable. The more who do, the less the risk; until the hidden hand of truth and openness reestablish the conditions of real evolution, not winner take all, but civic cooperation and emergent systems under conditions of candor and transparency.
2. Praise those who show courage. Synchronize through praise, dance, marches, bumperstickers, signs and signals. Do not let it be said by the bullies that resistance is futile, that the hero will die and be forgotten. Keep memory alive.
3. Satirize, criticize, scorn, shame, blame and give a bad reputation to brands, politicians, PR people, marketers, think tank thinkers, pundits and all others who usurp the role of truth-teller, and provide semblances only.
4. Stow (don't show) your education - do not deconstruct the values for which you, or others, may be required to suffer or die. For that would be a betrayal. Be true to the truth. Live in truth. Bear witness. Deconstruct not human rights, plain truth, courage and candor, but those who dissimulate. Start not with the best writers, for God's sake, but with brands, politicians, think tank bs, and corporate hype. (We are not ruled by those steeped in Milton, Shelley, Keats. Deconstruct what our leaders read - Seven Habits of Highly Successful People, Chicken Soup for the Soul, The Management Secrets of Genghis Khan, The Rapture Series.)
5. Link to create a resonant network of social capital - whether face to face, on the phone, through email, or your blog; bestow attention on those who see past the spectacle, and who are synchronizing on a more humane and sustainable way of life.
6. Pass up tainted honors - Do not cooperate with malfeasance. If offered "credentials" for a political convention, or time on a talk show (c.f. Chastity Powers for WB TV Tonight), or a position at a think tank, ask yourself about what it is you are cooperating with, and what it would cost to defect? Will you defect on air, challenging the host, the corporate business model, the advertisers? If not, why are you there? Why simper before millions, displaying your shameless desire to please? Set a better example, and turn down the tainted gift. Become a rallying point in your own right. Do not ride the bully's shoulders, to speak the bully's message, or be complicit in it, and think that makes you tall. Your presence on the bully's shoulder is demoralizing, it shames us all.
7. Pool effort, talent and money - "giving" from the gifted in defense of the commons from which and to which all gifts tend.
8. Organize online and off to bring cooperation games, and coordinated action, into not just business, but our civic life as well. Democracy is not just a spectator sport.
I am not sure why this speaks so well to the folks I respect but it does. It seem to be a strategy that intermingles humility with leadership, humor and honor, solidarity and truth over personal gain. It is a strategy that flows from talented advocates.